Skip to main content

Howdy Hanoi!

 Hello, xin chào, 大家好!

Happy Spring Break!! I have seen some photos of people going on trips and getting ready - be safe! I'd love to see what you are all up to and any photos you have. Just don't mention anything to me about Dune Part 2! ;) 

It has been another great week here in Saigon in the Tân Sơn Nhất area. The week was pretty standard, but I have some good stories.

Transfer News:

Yesterday was the day we are notified of transfers (when missionaries change areas/change companions they are with). I was told I will be going up to Hanoi and serving with Elder Vassantachart, who I shared an apartment with when I was in Thảo Điền. I am excited for the new adventure and new people to meet!

Preparation Day: The 30 Shine Experience

Last Preparation Day, my companion Elder Tolley and I really needed some haircuts. So, we hopped on our bikes and headed to the nearby barber. On the way, my bike experienced tire deflation for the 3rd time this week. We slowly walked our bikes to the nearest repair shop we could find on maps. 

While walking the bike to the shop we planned on, an older man on the street noticed my tire and told us to turn around and go to a tiny shop that we just passed by. We turned around and sure enough, there was an old man who did bike repairs sitting on the side of the road. He quickly identified the problem with my tire and said it would take him about an hour to fix. Elder Tolley and I took a look around and saw a place to get haircuts: 30 Shine. Elder Tolley heard 30 Shine gave really bad haircuts. With the next hair shop being about a 20min walk, we just decided to settle for 30 Shine and see what would happen. 

The price of haircuts was 120k, which is a little pricey, but we still decided to try it. After a short wait two female workers came up and took me and Elder Tolley upstairs, where they then took us to opposite sides of the salon. (Whoops). The worker then had me lay down on a big table which had a hair washing station on it. Little did I know I was about to get the 30 Shine experience. 

Once I laid down to have my hair washed, the worker (without saying anything) pulled down my tie and took it off and then unbuttoned my top button on my shirt. Ah! It was quite surprising because I thought I was just going to get my hair washed. Then she turned on the table - and it was a giant massage table doing my back while she was washing my hair. I just started laughing. I couldn't believe what was happening. 

After washing my hair for a bit she suddenly started massaging my face. This just made me laugh harder - and the worker was not happy with me. She kept asking me why I was laughing and I had no idea how to explain to her. Then she sprayed my face with this liquid that really burned and got a pore-sucking machine and got everything on my face there could've been. Following the pore treatment she put a wet towel over my face - which was nice - until she turned on the shower head hose and sprayed the rag and waterboarded me. I couldn't stop laughing still - while being waterboarded. 

After the waterboarding she started massaging my shoulders and then did some of my chest. Then, she popped some bones in my fingers I didn't know I had, and then she moved down to do my feet. Fortunately, I said "No, no please it's okay, haircut only - haircut only" in terrible laughing Vietnamese and she said alright. 

The haircut was good. They did a fine job. It was all I wanted anyways. How would I rate the 30 Shine experience? 30/30. 

Miracle After 30 Shine Experience:

After getting waterboarded Elder Tolley and I returned to our bikes - where out of nowhere, a member from our branch appeared from a nearby alleyway. She said she was walking down the road when she saw our bikes getting repaired. It was an answer to her prayer because the next day she was going to the hospital to get her back examined. She really wanted a blessing, but didn't know who to ask. When she saw our bikes, she knew we would be there and could help. We were able to give her a blessing and bring her some comfort for her upcoming stay at the hospital. Once again - it has shown me there truly are no coincidences in God's plan. Had my bike not broken, and then went to 30 Shine, she would have never seen us.

Escape Room Part 2:

After getting the bike fixed we met up with the rest of the district and did another escape room. This one was super fun because we had to escape a cemetary, but the ghost could actually chase you. You had to hide from the ghost and if they saw you, you could lose time to solve the escape room. Unfortunately, we still did not escape the escape room. We are going back again today though to finally beat it ;). It was pretty fun. When you are running through the dark getting chased by a ghost you find out how much unity is in your district really quick. (RIP to Chị Mai getting sacrificed to the ghost). 

Be A Missionary Day:

Saturday was super fun! We had a zone wide activity where young single adults who were interested in going on missions got to join us for a day. We had Anh Hưng and he did an amazing job! Vietnamese missionaries are the best!! 

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I am going to wrap up this email here - on a slower week I will answer some more of the common questions asked to me! 

Love you all, thanks for reading!

Anh Cả Reynolds

Blog: 

reynoldsinhanoi.blogspot.com

Photos: https://photos.app.goo.gl/KXNEyuJ6epdKQtAq6


Missionary Day!


Third time's a charm

The TTân Sơn Nhất Branch!



Blast from the past: My Study Abroad Cohort Ended up in the BYU Business Magazine!



My Mom's reaction when I said I was going to Hanoi:








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to Vietnam - Don't Take the Honking Personally

Xin chào mọi người!  They're sending me to Vietnam... it's a whole lot of scooters... Things have been great here in Vietnam. I'm currently sitting in a park after doing my second dance practice with some people we met last week. We're waiting for a friend to meet us to play some pickleball. If I wrote down everything that has happened within the past week this email would be too large to send, so here is a brief bullet point list of the highlights:  -Landed in Hanoi and did orientation. Was told I would be serving in the Ho Chi Minh area. Woo hoo! My Mission Presidency is awesome.  -Met my companion Elder Luân. His English is good but communicating is sometimes still difficult. 😅 I am constantly speaking Vietnamese, which has helped me learn a lot.  -Had first English Activity night and taught about Idaho, haha. The slideshow was already made by someone from Vietnam, and went over all the highlights of things like: Potatoes, sagebrush, dairy cows, and irrigation.  -Bi

New Year, New Country, New Language

Hope you have started 2024 off strong and ready for a new year! New Year's is actually one of my favorite holidays, because it is a holiday celebrated by mostly everyone on Earth. It's interesting to see how the world unites for this brief period of time, to celebrate a new beginning.  Vietnam : I'm starting off this new year in an exciting way!  As I write this email, I am currently on my way to Vietnam!  I will have a short layover in Seoul, South Korea and then a 5 hour flight to Vietnam. I am so excited to reunite with some of my fellow MTC missionaries and see some friendly faces again! My language skills are far from perfect, I am certainly a bit nervous. Simultaneously,  I am so excited and grateful for this opportunity to start this next adventure and serve in Vietnam. Next week, I should have plenty of photos to share! The Last Day in Bemidji: While preparing to leave Bemidji and head to Bismarck where I would temporarily stay until my flight on Monday, we got a ph

Stomaching Cow Stomach

 Xin chào mọi người!  Hoping you all had a great week and are getting back into the routine of things. The holiday season hasn't ended here in Vietnam yet, as many people are preparing for Tet! I am so excited to be here during this time of year. I'm looking forward to trying lots of treats and learning more about the culture. This week was eventful and fun! We have been working with lots of friends and saw a majority of them come to church which was exciting. During church on Sunday, I was asked to give a short 1-3 impromptu message to share because the assigned member didn't show up. Luckily I had some pre-written Vietnamese talks I wrote during previous language studies which really saved me. The ward translator said she appreciated me speaking slowly and simply, haha.  This week I stomached some cow tongue, intestines and stomach. Fortunately I didn't know what it was before I ordered, but my companion got a kick out of it. Just so you know- if you are halfway done