Skip to main content

The Quiet Streets of the Capital City

 Xin chào, 大家好, and hello! 

Hoping you had a wonderful Easter and spent time with family and friends. My Easter here was pretty uneventful, but still special - I have to admit I am NOT missing all the Peep Candy ducks. Fortunately, they can't fly here to Vietnam so I am safe.

This past week has had a lot of change, so there is plenty to write about! 

Last Preparation Day in Ho Chi Minh City: 
Last week our district met for the last time of the transfer. We tried to tackle the escape room one more time, but got stumped on the last room. After that, Elder Tolley and I returned to our apartment to continue preparing to move. I said bye to the south and hopped on my flight North! 

Moved up North - How is Hanoi?:
Hanoi is super awesome. It is very different from what I have been "used" to in the south. Everything that could be different is different - biking, food, the language, buildings, and roads - so it has been a bit of an adjustment period. Sometimes while I am biking I don't even feel like I am in Vietnam! 

The first big difference I noticed is the weather. It has gotten hot these past couple days - but just before that it was a wonderful 76 degrees F. At night it got around 75 and looked like it was going to rain, so I got to wear a jacket as I biked around. Never thought I would get cold in 75 degree weather after Bemidji... I'm enjoying the rest of the cool weather while I can before summer comes in a couple weeks and the heat returns. At times, it can get hotter than Saigon. But... IT FINALLY RAINED!! I loved it.

The second big difference is the biking/roads here in Hanoi. In Saigon, the roads are tiny and packed with cars and scooters. The traffic lights don't mean anything and are simply a recommendation. You can pull a U-turn whenever, wherever. Traffic too congested on one side of the road? Simply merge into the oncoming traffic lane and expand the lane. Here in Hanoi, that doesn't fly. There is certainly still some traffic and unorganization - however, people generally follow the traffic lights. The roads are also massive. I'm talking 4-5 lanes for a one way road versus the 1 way roads in Saigon meant to maybe fit a tiny car. I have yet to see a huge traffic jam. I have to admit I kinda miss the chaos of biking in the south, but I am certain I will be back to get some video of it. For now, I will be sleeping and biking peacefully in the quiet streets of Hanoi.

Third big difference is the food. People always say the food is so much better in the South, but I have really enjoyed what I have eaten in the North. The bánh mì here (meat sandwiches) are much better. The bread is softer and the sandwiches don't have random pieces of cucumbers inside them. They also like to toast the bread, which makes it like an Asian Panini.  I have noticed Hanoi food typically has more meat with the meals. Unfortunately, there isn't a lot of chicken and rice here. Chicken and rice was always a great go-to when not knowing what to eat in the south. One of my favorite meals to eat in the North is Bún Chả. There are certainly less options/variety to eat here, but everything has been good so far! 

Fourth big difference is certainly the language. I have regressed a little bit in my comprehension because the language sounds so different. It is hard to explain. Here is an example: The word Đức Thánh Linh (Holy Ghost). In the south, you pronounce the ending "nh" sound as a kinda "nh" sound. Here in the North, it ends in more of a "ng" sound. The tones also have different sounds which makes the flow of conversations a bit different. They also have different words as well. Instead of saying "nói với" they will just say "bảo" (meaning, to speak with someone). 

There are also lots of Chinese people here and Koreans! Lots of influence from the Northern Asian countries. My apartment complex is catered to Koreans living here abroad. Elder Vassantachart speaks Korean and I speak Mandarin which makes things work out well! 

Overall - I have loved serving here. I like our branch and we have a great district. I am certainly missing Saigon, but enjoying the new adventure! I have yet to stay in one area longer than one transfer which is crazy... but I enjoy the change!! 
____________________________________

We are whitewashing the area, so Elder Vassantachart and I have been pretty busy! I have yet to take any pictures, but you can enjoy this one when it rained outside the church! 

I hope you all have a wonderful week and are preparing for the end of the semester! Good luck to those of you getting your final projects/reports done. 

Love,
Anh Cả Reynolds



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to Vietnam - Don't Take the Honking Personally

Xin chào mọi người!  They're sending me to Vietnam... it's a whole lot of scooters... Things have been great here in Vietnam. I'm currently sitting in a park after doing my second dance practice with some people we met last week. We're waiting for a friend to meet us to play some pickleball. If I wrote down everything that has happened within the past week this email would be too large to send, so here is a brief bullet point list of the highlights:  -Landed in Hanoi and did orientation. Was told I would be serving in the Ho Chi Minh area. Woo hoo! My Mission Presidency is awesome.  -Met my companion Elder Luân. His English is good but communicating is sometimes still difficult. 😅 I am constantly speaking Vietnamese, which has helped me learn a lot.  -Had first English Activity night and taught about Idaho, haha. The slideshow was already made by someone from Vietnam, and went over all the highlights of things like: Potatoes, sagebrush, dairy cows, and irrigation.  -Bi

New Year, New Country, New Language

Hope you have started 2024 off strong and ready for a new year! New Year's is actually one of my favorite holidays, because it is a holiday celebrated by mostly everyone on Earth. It's interesting to see how the world unites for this brief period of time, to celebrate a new beginning.  Vietnam : I'm starting off this new year in an exciting way!  As I write this email, I am currently on my way to Vietnam!  I will have a short layover in Seoul, South Korea and then a 5 hour flight to Vietnam. I am so excited to reunite with some of my fellow MTC missionaries and see some friendly faces again! My language skills are far from perfect, I am certainly a bit nervous. Simultaneously,  I am so excited and grateful for this opportunity to start this next adventure and serve in Vietnam. Next week, I should have plenty of photos to share! The Last Day in Bemidji: While preparing to leave Bemidji and head to Bismarck where I would temporarily stay until my flight on Monday, we got a ph

Stomaching Cow Stomach

 Xin chào mọi người!  Hoping you all had a great week and are getting back into the routine of things. The holiday season hasn't ended here in Vietnam yet, as many people are preparing for Tet! I am so excited to be here during this time of year. I'm looking forward to trying lots of treats and learning more about the culture. This week was eventful and fun! We have been working with lots of friends and saw a majority of them come to church which was exciting. During church on Sunday, I was asked to give a short 1-3 impromptu message to share because the assigned member didn't show up. Luckily I had some pre-written Vietnamese talks I wrote during previous language studies which really saved me. The ward translator said she appreciated me speaking slowly and simply, haha.  This week I stomached some cow tongue, intestines and stomach. Fortunately I didn't know what it was before I ordered, but my companion got a kick out of it. Just so you know- if you are halfway done