Skip to main content

WEEK 4: Oct 9th - Oct 16th

Good morning campers! It's groundhog day... 


Hi everyone! It has been yet another week here at the Provo MTC. The statement, "Days are long, but weeks are short" has become more true with every week that passes by. Part of me are excited for getting into the field, while the other part of me can't believe I will have sufficient Vietnamese/general training for the field. 


The schedule has gotten a bit repetitive, which has been a challenge. It is nice to have a routine and predictability with your day, especially in a new environment. However - since we have been here for a month, it isn't really a new environment. However, we have had lots of adventures with volleyball, and an amazing view of the eclipse! 


Meeting new people really helps. I especially love meeting the international missionaries. I have befriended many of the missionaries who are from Taiwan/China, come to the MTC to learn English, and are then sent somewhere stateside Mandarin speaking or back to Taiwan. Whenever I see them walking around, I always get lots of waves and smiles.


Story: Last week, my companion needed to get some immunizations done. While we were waiting, the non-english speaking Chinese district arrived - with no translator. They tried using an app to communicate and translate what they needed to the medical staff, but it wasn't working. So, I stepped up and talked to them, and the medical staff suddenly started calling me a "translator". Although I certainly do not have any qualification for this, my Mandarin was sufficient. 


Once one of the Chinese Elders I helped was seated and was prepped for the vaccine, but was clearly nervous. We had stayed over an hour, past the time we were supposed to be there, so I was saying my goodbyes. However, the Elder looked at me and begged in Mandarin, "Talk to me Talk to me while I am getting the shot". Of course, I stayed and talked, and he took all four shots like a champ. (He was nervous because the only vaccine he ever received was the COVID shot in China, when they lined everyone up and poked them. He said it hurt so bad, and he has always been scared since). 


This experience has taught me that although I wasn't called Mandarin speaking, the Lord certainly needs my abilities and talents. Maybe it was for that one Elder only. I doubt it, but it showed me that what we may consider "coincidences" are perfect plans made by Heavenly Father. Then again, I am a pretty strange person and have strange luck, so that is up for you to decide. :)


I forgot to update about the meeting with the Chairman of Religious Affairs - it went extremely well! Our district was nervous, especially when it came to introducing ourselves. But, now we are never going to be scared of introducing ourselves in Vietnamese ever again. He was able to observe a lesson on what we were learning, and our teachers sang "I am a Child of God" in Vietnamese for him. Once he left, the MTC Presidency told us he "...felt very touched and [we] did an amazing job." With this visit, and Elder Rasband going to Vietnam this week, I am hopeful there will be some progress on our visas. 


As of now, there is no word of the status of our visa. I am expecting a reassignment, but I'm not upset about it! I am hopeful and faithful things will work out how it needs to be.


Love and miss you all! - Always feel free to send messages or videos. 


-Elder Reynolds

Anh Cả Reynolds 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hanoian Hamburgers

  Alo- Hope you are doing well and enjoying the Spring Weather. We are hoping to start getting some warmer weather this next week (meaning the grey overcast that has been here for the past 3.5 months leaves). This week I don't really have much to report on. Always Adjusting: This week was mainly just adjustment to the new area and assignment. This transfer I'll be helping as an Assistant, which is mainly a lot of behind the scenes work. It reminds me a lot of when I was doing Social Media work a little over a year ago - rather than managing the social media, you help with different aspects of the mission. There isn't anything extremely stressful or overwhelming -- it is just lots of small tasks you have to learn to do. My current companion has great experience in this role and has been teaching me lots. He leaves at the end of this transfer, so I am trying to absorb as much as I can to get it ready for the next transfer.  The Mission Branch: One aspect I have been enjoying ...

Escaping and Entering The Matrix

  Alô, Wishing you a happy end to your summer break and a successful start to the upcoming semester, or whatever adventure you are onto next. If you have some spare time, send me some photos or a little update of what you have been up to!  As for me, this might be the busiest/chaotic I've been on my mission so far. I'll do my best to organize this email the best I can. The Matrix  As mentioned in the previous email, my new companion Elder Bird and I are currently in a temporary apartment, until we get to our new apartment later this week. [ The last apartment Elders were staying in got sold out underneath them, resulting in this situation ]. We've just been living out of our suitcases - just waiting to move and get settled in. The apartment we have been staying in is called "The Matrix" - and it has certainly been a fitting name, as it truly is an escape to try and enter and leave the complex. It's also resulted in me making plenty of movie references. My pers...

Buddist Monks and Ba Đình

 Hello everyone! Hope you have been doing well. Congratulations to those of you finishing up your semesters, and keep pushing on for those in the end game!  Remember in my last email I said "pray for some stories?". Well - I don't know who prayed for them, but Heavenly Father certainly answered your prayers. This week has been quite crazy, but fun.  Last Preparation Day: Last Preparation Day was a blast. We planned with our district to travel to a cool hike with a cave and Buddhist temple. So, we ordered our taxi and went on our way. Thirty minutes into the taxi ride and checking on the map we realized we were in fact not going to the correct Buddhist temple - we put in the wrong address, and were riding in the opposite direction. Being 10 minutes away from our new destination (and almost accidentally leaving the zone) we decided to see what the temple would be like.  Upon arrival, it was clear the temple was under major renovations and closed. We checked out the lit...