Skip to main content

Bemidji, Minnesota

 Hello all! 


Hope you have been having a fantastic week, and are preparing for Thanksgiving/the holiday season. 

TLDR: Left MTC Thursday and flew to Bismarck. Assigned in the Bemidji Minnesota area, a 6 hour drive from Bismarck. My companion is great - the Native American reservations are a little sketchy but fun. 

Thursday morning I left the MTC to my reassignment to the Bismark, North Dakota mission. It was hard to say goodbyes, but I know we will see each other again soon! We left on a private bus which dropped us off in SLC, where we then flew to Minneapolis, then to Bismark. I stayed the night at the mission home and met President and Sister Camp. They are wonderful!

The next morning, following our training/orientation I was told I was assigned to the Bemidji Minnesota area - around a 6 hour drive away from Bismarck. This mission area is massive and includes Montana, North and South Dakota, Nebraska, and NW Minnesota. We do lots of driving. 

Within this mission area, we serve 3 Native American reservations. I've only been able to breifly vist some as of today - but there is a massive difference in living conditions. Many people are going through difficult times. Some areas remind me of what I saw in the countryside of Mainland China. There are wild dogs as well, which are not too friendly. There are lots of signs that explain how happy people would be to shoot you for stepping on their land. I would like to learn some of the language they speak - it sounds super different from anything else I've heard. I'll start with "I'm not the police " and "Sorry". A member recommended we keep tobacco on us to negotiate with if we get in trouble. 

Despite this - people are very friendly! My trainer is very nice and a great teacher. I have quickly realized I "know" how to teach people who have never heard of Jesus pretty well, but not so good at teaching people who already know about Jesus. 

That's pretty much it - I'm certain more stories are bound to come.

Enjoy your week and Thanksgiving for those of you celebrating! Best of wishes for everyone travelling. 

Elder Reynolds


Incoming missionaries visiting the Bismarck Temple



Our Vietnamese District leaving the MTC - some of us went to ND, some to TN, and some to NY



President and Sister Camp of the Bismarck Mission


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hanoian Hamburgers

  Alo- Hope you are doing well and enjoying the Spring Weather. We are hoping to start getting some warmer weather this next week (meaning the grey overcast that has been here for the past 3.5 months leaves). This week I don't really have much to report on. Always Adjusting: This week was mainly just adjustment to the new area and assignment. This transfer I'll be helping as an Assistant, which is mainly a lot of behind the scenes work. It reminds me a lot of when I was doing Social Media work a little over a year ago - rather than managing the social media, you help with different aspects of the mission. There isn't anything extremely stressful or overwhelming -- it is just lots of small tasks you have to learn to do. My current companion has great experience in this role and has been teaching me lots. He leaves at the end of this transfer, so I am trying to absorb as much as I can to get it ready for the next transfer.  The Mission Branch: One aspect I have been enjoying ...

Escaping and Entering The Matrix

  Alô, Wishing you a happy end to your summer break and a successful start to the upcoming semester, or whatever adventure you are onto next. If you have some spare time, send me some photos or a little update of what you have been up to!  As for me, this might be the busiest/chaotic I've been on my mission so far. I'll do my best to organize this email the best I can. The Matrix  As mentioned in the previous email, my new companion Elder Bird and I are currently in a temporary apartment, until we get to our new apartment later this week. [ The last apartment Elders were staying in got sold out underneath them, resulting in this situation ]. We've just been living out of our suitcases - just waiting to move and get settled in. The apartment we have been staying in is called "The Matrix" - and it has certainly been a fitting name, as it truly is an escape to try and enter and leave the complex. It's also resulted in me making plenty of movie references. My pers...

Buddist Monks and Ba Đình

 Hello everyone! Hope you have been doing well. Congratulations to those of you finishing up your semesters, and keep pushing on for those in the end game!  Remember in my last email I said "pray for some stories?". Well - I don't know who prayed for them, but Heavenly Father certainly answered your prayers. This week has been quite crazy, but fun.  Last Preparation Day: Last Preparation Day was a blast. We planned with our district to travel to a cool hike with a cave and Buddhist temple. So, we ordered our taxi and went on our way. Thirty minutes into the taxi ride and checking on the map we realized we were in fact not going to the correct Buddhist temple - we put in the wrong address, and were riding in the opposite direction. Being 10 minutes away from our new destination (and almost accidentally leaving the zone) we decided to see what the temple would be like.  Upon arrival, it was clear the temple was under major renovations and closed. We checked out the lit...