Skip to main content

Putting The "Bad" in Badminton

 Xin chào mọi người! 大家好! Hello everyone!

Hoping you had a wonderful week! I hope you are planning some fun Spring Break activities and getting through midterms and projects. Let me know what you have been up to and how life has been!

This week was pretty fun. The interactions I have with people sometimes are just bizzare and so small, I forget to write it down. I absolutely love it though. Here is some of the highlight activities and stories from this week: 

Independence Palace P-Day and Sushi:

Last preparation day was pretty fun! We met with the district at a nice sushi place and then went to Independence Palace! This is basically the old whitehouse of southern Vietnam, when Ho Chi Minh was Saigon. It was full of very big conference rooms and cool paintings. The grounds were beautiful, I really enjoyed it. We also ran into a group of Italian tourists, so I got to speak some Italian which was fun. They were pretty surprised, to say the least. 

Draco Malfoy:

You know Malfoy, the character from Harry Potter? People keep saying I look like him. It has happened on 3 different occasions now. That's all. 

Exchange with Elder Nienhuis:

This week I got to go on another exchange with Elder Nienhuis and it was fun! He showed me some good places to eat and we had a good lesson helping someone prepare for the Thailand Temple. Super excited for them! 

Badminton:

Badminton is a pretty popular sport/activity here. Elder Tolley and I decided to get some rackets and shuttles so we could join. After doing a warm up game with the other Elders, and then a badminton activity, I can certainly say I need to practice more. (In my defense, the wind was super strong at the badminton activity we had. So, maybe I'm not terrible, but I am certainly not great). On our way back... we ran into another Italian! I think I scared him when, to my surprise I shouted, "I speak some Italian" in Italian to him. Italian count for the week: 4! 

Meeting Moroni?

While walking back to our apartment from a park, a Vietnamese man walking in our opposite direction waved us down and yelled to us, in English, "Brothers! Come here". The interaction goes as follows: 

Us: "Hi! It seems like you know us?"

Bald Vietnamese Man: "Yes I am a Mormon Member. I was baptized in the Tân Sơn Nhất Branch. (That is the branch I serve in. We have never seen him before.) I was baptized two years ago.

Us: "Wow! That is amazing. I don't think we have met. What is your name?"

Bald Vietnamese Man: "My name is Moroni". Points to his two friends walking with him. "Now, invite them to church". 

Us: Invites them to church and shares the address. They came to church! 

Moral of the story: If you are recognized in public and someone says they are named after an angel or prophet of God... I guess listen to them? I don't know. It was just really bizarre. 

_________________________________________

Other than that, things have been pretty standard here. We are working hard and biking lots. I have gotten pretty used to the weather, so I'm "less" of a sweaty disgusting mess when I bike around now. I took pictures this week (and stole some from Chị Mai haha) so go check them out on Google Photos!

Song Stuck In My Head This Week: You Ain't Nothing But a Hound Dog. Listen to it for me! 

Love you all,

Anh Cả Reynolds 


It was light traffic (for real) so we snapped a picture!













Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hanoian Hamburgers

  Alo- Hope you are doing well and enjoying the Spring Weather. We are hoping to start getting some warmer weather this next week (meaning the grey overcast that has been here for the past 3.5 months leaves). This week I don't really have much to report on. Always Adjusting: This week was mainly just adjustment to the new area and assignment. This transfer I'll be helping as an Assistant, which is mainly a lot of behind the scenes work. It reminds me a lot of when I was doing Social Media work a little over a year ago - rather than managing the social media, you help with different aspects of the mission. There isn't anything extremely stressful or overwhelming -- it is just lots of small tasks you have to learn to do. My current companion has great experience in this role and has been teaching me lots. He leaves at the end of this transfer, so I am trying to absorb as much as I can to get it ready for the next transfer.  The Mission Branch: One aspect I have been enjoying ...

Escaping and Entering The Matrix

  Alô, Wishing you a happy end to your summer break and a successful start to the upcoming semester, or whatever adventure you are onto next. If you have some spare time, send me some photos or a little update of what you have been up to!  As for me, this might be the busiest/chaotic I've been on my mission so far. I'll do my best to organize this email the best I can. The Matrix  As mentioned in the previous email, my new companion Elder Bird and I are currently in a temporary apartment, until we get to our new apartment later this week. [ The last apartment Elders were staying in got sold out underneath them, resulting in this situation ]. We've just been living out of our suitcases - just waiting to move and get settled in. The apartment we have been staying in is called "The Matrix" - and it has certainly been a fitting name, as it truly is an escape to try and enter and leave the complex. It's also resulted in me making plenty of movie references. My pers...

Buddist Monks and Ba Đình

 Hello everyone! Hope you have been doing well. Congratulations to those of you finishing up your semesters, and keep pushing on for those in the end game!  Remember in my last email I said "pray for some stories?". Well - I don't know who prayed for them, but Heavenly Father certainly answered your prayers. This week has been quite crazy, but fun.  Last Preparation Day: Last Preparation Day was a blast. We planned with our district to travel to a cool hike with a cave and Buddhist temple. So, we ordered our taxi and went on our way. Thirty minutes into the taxi ride and checking on the map we realized we were in fact not going to the correct Buddhist temple - we put in the wrong address, and were riding in the opposite direction. Being 10 minutes away from our new destination (and almost accidentally leaving the zone) we decided to see what the temple would be like.  Upon arrival, it was clear the temple was under major renovations and closed. We checked out the lit...